Over the last 20 years, I have built businesses in Games and Esports and am somewhat of a tech evangelist. So it's probably no surprise that I have a very clear vision about the huge potential this industry offers for the UK economy and why more must be done to represent it in Parliament.
I wholeheartedly believe that the UK can, and should, become the ultimate destination for gaming and esports in Europe, attracting investment and top industry talent.
But if you're not a games or esports fan, why should you care about this?
Let's consider the facts.
- The games industry is worth over £6bn for our economy.
- Games and Esports provide more than 50,000 jobs in the UK.
- The UK is home to over 2,000 games businesses.
- The industry is growing exponentially and if the UK doesn't take advantage of that potential, other countries will.
- Esports are booming across the world and the UK is perfectly placed to be a world leader.
We need a Government Minister with responsibility for achieving world leader status for the industry and attracting major events to the UK. Currently, there is insufficient understanding of the industry's value to the UK - something I'll make my mission to change if I enter the House of Commons.
- We must do more to support grassroots developers through funding, infrastructure and tax relief.
- We need more people with the right skills to do the jobs that are being created.
- We must train the next generation, by implementing recommendations of the 2011 NextGen Skills Report and making use of innovative education routes.
- We must stay in the EU to guarantee the free flow of data, industry talent and freedom of movement.
Click here to read more about my plan to support the UK games and esports industries and ensure the UK secures its' rightful place as a world leader.